At the Forefront of Oil Refining

14.10.2013
Antipinsky Oil refinery is the only industrial oil refining enterprise in the Tyumen Region and the Urals Federal District. In the course of construction and technical modernization of Antipinsky Oil Refinery special attention is paid to selection of up-to-date technological equipment complying with the strictest environmental standards. The today’s front of nature protection activities includes commissioning of advanced water treatment facilities when building the third phase of the refinery.

Gaining Momentum

Antipinsky Oil Refinery CJSC was founded in July 2004 on the territory of one of the major oil and gas constituent entities of the Russian Federation, the Tyumen Region, where the most part of Russian oil (72%) and natural gas (91%) reserves is concentrated. Its first workflow with the capacity of 400 thousand tons p.a. was commissioned already in November 2006. Due to technological modernization in 2008 its actual capacity amounted to 740 thousand tons p.a.
In May 2010, the second workflow phase with the capacity of 2.75 million tons per year was commissioned. In the course of modernization of the second phase at the end of 2012 its capacity reached 3.5 million tons p.a. Thus the aggregate capacity of the refinery (ELOU-AT-1 plus ELOU-AT-2) makes up 4.2 million tons p.a. since November 2012.
Advanced methods of treatment will enable the refinery to reuse up to 60% of purified effluents for technical purposes and improve the remaining 40% of water as required by hygienic standards applicable to surface water protection. Antipinsky Oil Refinery CJSC has acquired and repaired Antipino Railway Station in the vicinity of which it has built a finished products sector (FPS) for the purpose of the transportation of light oil products (gasoline, diesel fuel) by rail.
The FPS commissioning has increased the aggregate estimated oil-loading capacity of the refinery up to 8 million tons p.a. (3 million tons account for the basic facilities and 5 million tons – for FPS) and lessened the load of functioning fill/discharge racks situated in the main area of the refinery.
On January 29, 2013 the 10 millionth ton of oil was refined at Antipinsky. It should be specially noted that mo private enterprise of similar capacity has been commissioned on the territory of the Russian Federation over the past 30 years, except Taneko, but it is a state-run company.

To the Third Height

Nowadays the projects on enhancing the refining capacity to 7.5 million tons p.a., improving the processing depth to 94%, and producing fuel complying with Euro-5 standard are being implemented at Antipinsky Oil Refinery. The construction of the third workflow phase (Velesstroy LLC is the General Contractor) is carried out in several stages.
ELOU-AT-3 unit with the capacity of 3.7 million tons p.a. will be commissioned at the first stage of the third workflow phase, as a result of what the enterprise’s crude oil refining capacity will swell to more than 7.5 million tons p.a. Together with the unit several off-site facilities will be commissioned: the tank farm for commercial diesel fuel with the volume of 80 thousand tons, the tank farm for crude oil with the volume of 60 thousand tons, up-to-date treatment facilities. To be completed in the fourth quarter of 2013.
Diesel fuel hydrotreating unit will be built at the second stage of the third workflow phase for the purpose of improving the quality of diesel fuel as required by Euro-5 standards (with the sulfur content not exceeding 10 ppm) and for the purpose of ensuring the necessary freezing temperature so that winter and arctic diesel fuels can be produced (Danish company Haldor Topsoe is the licenser of the process and the developer of the basic project). To guarantee the operation of the hydrotreating unit hydrogen production units and elemental sulfur production units with the granulation block will be constructed. To be completed in the fourth quarter of 2014.
The oil processing depth will reach up to 94% at the third stage of the third workflow phase due to the commissioning in the fourth quarter of 2015 of a combined deferred tar carbonization unit with a fuel-oil vacuum distillation block. As a consequence, the output of diesel fuel will grow up to 50% of the total volume of refining. American company Foster Wheeler is the licenser of the process and the developer of the basic project. Coke received as a result of tar carbonization and constituting the end product is in great demand in metallurgy.
In the first six months of 2016 the enterprise plans to transfer to the production of high-octane gasoline of Euro-5 standard with the octane number of no lower than 95 points under research method due to the commissioning of the gasoline reforming unit with the catalyst permanent regeneration and isomerization block. UOP is the licenser of the processes.

In 2017-2018 it is planned to build the vacuum gasoil hydrocracking unit, and the refinery’s own vacuum gasoil from the deferred carbonization unit and the vacuum block will be used as the raw material for it. In addition to that the second hydrogen production unit and off-site facilities will be built.

Ecological Objectives

Against the background of the growing volumes of oil production and refining the issues of environmental protection and industrial safety are among those which are of top priority for both, governmental structures and oil companies.
Being a sustainable and dynamically developing enterprise Antipinsky Oil Refinery is trying to comply with international quality standards and fulfills requirements of the Russian Federation’s legislation, as well as of its own regulatory documents and standards forming the basis for prevention of breakdowns, accidents, and incidents at a hazardous industrial facility.
To lessen pressure on the environment a number of technological solutions were taken into account at the design stage making it possible to minimize the negative impact on the environment, and, among other things, significantly reduce water consumption what means substantial decrease of sewage discharge, pollutant emissions into the atmosphere, and prevent oil and oil-product spillage in the soil, surface and underground waters.
Such solutions include:
¦ the use of burner units in process furnaces which comply with the most stringent environmental requirements;
¦ the application of a sealed system within the entire process flow;
¦ the control, computerization, and telemetry of technological processes to prevent accidents, as well as to minimize pollutant emissions to the atmosphere by strict adherence to established technological parameters;
¦ the provision of a leak-proof filling of light oil products with gas removal to tanks via gas equalizing lines;
¦ the use of air-cooling systems in process flows;
¦ the use of water removal systems which prevent wastewater discharge to surface waters;
¦ the construction of concrete platforms for processing equipment and oil loading racks with guard rails and ladders.
Implementation of these solutions minimizes potential environmental damage.

Water Based

Since water is needed for refining oil and oil products at the units the construction of a third workflow phase of Antipinsky Oil Refinery began with the building of water intake, water conditioning, and sewage treatment facilities.
Treatment facilities occupy the area of 10.73 hectares. Wastewater treatment process consists of five stages. The equipment of treatment facilities will enable the refinery to purify all industrial, rainfall, and domestic waters by means of: preliminary, physical and chemical (separators and impeller floatation), biological (membrane bioreactor) treatment, advanced post-treatment and disinfection (the process of dual filtration using sorption carbon filters and UV disinfection), and, finally, dehydration of trapped oil products, residues, and excess sludge.
The equipment in question will make it possible to:
¦ to prevent changes of the Tura River bottom and any limitations of water traffic when using water intake structures;
¦ provide the refinery with water of required quality complying with regulations imposed on equipment installed in the basic and auxiliary technological units;
¦ reduce the area of construction four times as compared with traditional treatment technology at primary and secondary sludge basins (biological wastewater treatment technology);
¦ minimize operational costs (low power consumption equipment, use of advanced chemical agents, etc.);
¦ reduce the impact of harmful factors (such as noise, vibration, emissions, and discharges, etc.) on the environment and employees).
It should be specially noted that only high-technology equipment of such most advanced Russian enterprises as “Komsomolets” Tambov Plant OJSC, LIT Research and Production Association, EKO-Umvelt CJSC, TEKO-FILTR Production Enterprise LLC, as well as of such foreign companies as Zickert (Sweden), Separation Specialist (USA), GE Water & Process Technologies (Hungary), and other firms well known all over the world, will be used at the new facility of the refinery. Up-to-date methods applied to the treatment of industrial, rainfall and domestic sewage waters will enable the refinery to reuse up to 60% of treated wastewaters for technical purposes of the enterprise, and improve the remaining 40% of water as required by hygienic standards applicable to surface water protection subsequently discharging them to the Tura River.
The accredited ecological and analytical laboratory of Antipinsky Oil Refinery CJSC will exercise quality control over wastewaters at all stages.

Back to the list