Antipinsky Oil Refinery CJSC is one of the major enterprises in the Urals Federal District which carries out efficient activity in the area of industrial and environmental safety, labor protection. The enterprise is trying to comply with international quality standards and fulfills all requirements of the Russian Federation’s legislation, as well as of its own regulatory documents and standards forming the basis for prevention of breakdowns, accidents, and incidents at a hazardous industrial facility.
1. Solution of Environmental Issues.
We have already told our readers about the functioning of 2 workflow phases of the enterprise and about the plans of Antipinsky Oil Refinery to commission its 3rd phase. Now we would like to focus on measures taken by the refinery’s management board in order to reduce as much as possible the negative impact of the refinery’s activity on the environment and the ambiance.
Of late against the background of growing oil production and refining volumes the issues of environmental protection and industrial security are of top priority for both, governmental structures and oil refining companies. Acute necessity for introducing no other than comprehensive measures at modern refineries aimed at minimizing the harmful impact on the environment due to industrial exploitation of oil refining facilities is noticed.
In this connection in the course of construction and technical modernization of Antipinsky Oil Refinery special attention is paid to selection of up-to-date technological equipment which must comply with the strictest environmental regulations and standards what will make it possible to accomplish desired objectives in the area of industrial and environmental safety.
Today Antipinsky Oil Refinery CJSC is busy with the design and construction of its third workflow phase which will enable it to provide the region with Euro-5 motor gasoline and diesel fuel after commissioning of new units, and, as a consequence, to reduce environmental pressure of vehicles on the ambiance of the south of the Tyumen Region. Since water is needed for refining oil and oil products at the units the construction of the third workflow phase of the enterprise began with the building of water intake, water conditioning, and sewage treatment facilities.
Within the framework of the 3rd phase treatment facilities with the area of 10.73 hectares have been built which will provide for the purification of industrial, rainfall, and domestic wastewaters up to the required extent making it possible to reuse treated wastewaters or discharge them into a fishery water body.
Wastewater treatment consists of three stages:
Preliminary treatment block (peak performance of no more than 2,670.00 cu. m. per hour) includes:
- primary effluent pumping station;
- a settler combined with a sand collector;
- underground concrete emergency-regulation tanks (V=10,000.00 cu.m.);
- clarified effluent pumping station.
Sedimentation with continuous removing of trapped impurities using scrapper mechanisms (Zickert Swedish company is the producer).
Underground concrete emergency-regulation tanks (2 x 10,000.00 cu.m.) are provided in the preliminary treatment block for ensuring stable consumption at next stages of no more that 400 cu.m. per hour.
To remove any large impurities a mechanical rake grid is provided in front of the settler (EKO-Umvelt Russia is the supplier).
Physical-chemical wastewater treatment block (operating efficiency of no more than 400 cu.m. per hour) includes:
- impeller floaters;
- a reactant preparation and dosage unit installed in the production facility of the dehydration block.
Thin-layer sedimentation in fine purification separators (produced by “Komsomolets” Tambov Plant, Russia) and reactant impeller floatation (produced by Separation Specialists, USA).
Biological treatment block (operating efficiency of no more than 400 cu.m. per hour) includes:
- an aeration tank-displacer with anaerobic and aerobic zones, a pumping station feeding effluents from the aeration tank;
- for ultra-filtration and the active sludge circulation pumping station;
- the ultra-filtration unit (membrane bioreactor);
- the production facility in which the station of permeate (filtrate) pumping, air blowers, the reactant preparation and dosage unit are located.
Biological treatment is conducted in aeration tanks-displacers with nitrification and de-nitrification zones with subsequent filtration in membrane bioreactors (supplier of equipment and technology for membrane bioreactors is GE Water and Process).
General Description of Membrane Bioreactor (MBR) Technology
Technological equipment consists of the biological reactor containing active sludge and the ultra-filtration membrane block. The key technological equipment is the membrane system which facilitates the formation of biomass with increased concentration of active sludge what accelerates decomposition of dissolved organic impurities from the effluent stream.
Membranes are used in order that no active sludge penetrates to purified water. Due to greater concentration of active sludge the dimensions of the bioreactor used in the technology are 4-7 times less than the dimensions of primary and secondary sludge basins of traditional technological equipment used for biological treatment.
A membrane module is a constituent component of the membrane system. The membrane module consists of the bundle of hollow fibers the nominal size of the pores of which makes up 0.04 microns, and their absolute size constitutes 0.1 micron. Membrane modules are installed on frames, plunged in the bioreactor, and are in direct contact with sewage water and sludge. Hollow side supports of the frame are used for air supply and removal of permeate from the lower collector.
Description of Principal Technological Scheme
Vacuum is created by the permeate (filtrate) pump inside hollow membrane fibers due to which the water to be filtered passes through the membrane, enters hollow fibers and then flows to filtrate collectors. The filtrate obtained fills the back flushing tank from where purified wastewater flows to the advanced post-treatment and disinfection block.
The aeration assembly is built in the lower part of the membrane module. The air supplied by the air blower impacts the surface of membrane fibers and prevents sedimentation of impurities on the exterior surface thereof.
Advanced post-treatment and disinfection block (operating efficiency of no more than 400 cu.m. per hour) includes: • the production facility in which sorption filters are installed,
- the ultraviolet disinfection unit.
Advanced post-treatment is needed for in order that treated wastewaters meet the requirements imposed on the quality wastewaters discharged to fishery water bodies. Advanced post-treatment is performed by using FSU sorption carbon filters (TEKO-Filtr, Russia). Purified wastewaters are disinfected at the ultraviolet disinfection station (LIT Research and Production Association, Russia).
Stage V. The dehydration block of trapped oil products, residues, and excess sludge (operating efficiency of no more than 7 cu.m. per hour) includes:
- foam sedimentation basins;
- the residue homogenization unit (4 vertical stainless steel tanks — 100 cu.m.);
- the coke discharge unit;
- the production facility in which there are centrifuges, the reactant preparation and dosage unit for the dehydration block, the reactant preparation and dosage unit for the physical-chemical treatment block.
Trapped impurities enter the dehydration block for oil products, residues, and excess active sludge, accumulate in residue-homogenization apparatuses (4 vertical stainless steel tanks of 100 cu. m. each), mix for the purpose of averaging as per quantity and quality, and then become subject to a three-stage separation at a horizontal centrifuge (produced by German company Andritz Separation AG).
After centrifuging dehydrated oil products are directed for reuse. Dehydrated residues are directed to the bio-destruction sector and processed with biological preparations which oxidize residuary hydrocarbons. After the bio-oxidation process the dehydrated residue transfers to the 4th class of hazardous waste and can be used in industrial areas for filling trenches and pits.
2. Creating favorable working environment. We would also like to pay special attention to assessment of workplaces and social policy pursued by Antipinsky Oil Refinery. Based on results of the third stage of assessment permanent workplaces have been removed from the premises with noisy equipment, computer displays with cathode-ray tubes have been replaced with liquid-crystal monitors. In addition to that, air-conditioning systems at workplaces have been installed, new buildings with rooms intended for employees who worked in limited space have been commissioned, as well as remote control CAM systems have been put into operation for the purpose of reducing the time when employees stay in hazardous industrial-factor environment.
All necessary conditions have been provided at the refinery so that people feel comfortable at their workplaces:
- Medical service providing for prophylaxis and prevention of diseases connected with harmful and/or hazardous working environment. All the company employees undergo compulsory and regular medical examination on account of the enterprise. Health point is functioning on the territory of the refinery.
- Transfer of employees by the company transport to/from work.
- Equipping workplaces with up-to-date technology and upgrading them so that they comply with sanitary and hygienic standards and requirements.
- Free (on account of the enterprise) system of education and additional professional training of personnel (is the refinery needs it).
- Free (on account of the enterprise) provision of the employees with special clothes, shoes, and other individual protection means.
Social policy pursued by Antipinsky Oil Refinery includes programs and measures aimed at social protection of the employees, creation of healthy and safe environment, in particular, change-rooms with showers have been built, meals are served for the refinery’s personnel at the its canteen which are partially subsidized by the company owners.